My relationship with cereal is a delicious one full of sugar and plenty of almond milk. I became an avid fan of cereal when I migrated to the States since this was not a popular breakfast food in Peru, but it sure is in the good old U.S. of A.
The first cereal I tried here was Pops, a corn puff with a very artificial yellow color and a somewhat sticky sugar layer. I ate my first bowl with joy, as any seven-year-old who loves sugar probably would. Since then, I have been an avid fan of Honey Nut Cheerios throughout my high school years. As sad as it seems, I looked forward to a peaceful night eating a huge bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios with almond milk while watching movies most Fridays from grades 8th – 11th.
Cereal is such a versatile food that is great not just during the morning but for lunch, dinner, or 3 am after a night out. And nothing is better than cereal taken in red solo cups from whichever frat you were at that night, or maybe that’s just me.
However you enjoy cereal and with whatever milk you prefer, here are some elite cereals according to my tastebuds:
- Honey Bunches of Oats – If you like granola (which almost everyone does), you will love this cereal, and if you want to bump it up a notch, then get the one with almonds!
- Honey Nut Cheerios – A staple during my high school years. Make sure to get the honey nut and not the regular plain Cheerios, which taste like dried-up cardboard.
- Kellogg’s Special K Chocolatey Delight – Can’t get any better than cereal PLUS chocolate, and the Special K flakes alone just hit differently.
- Cookie Crisp – Okay, it doesn’t really taste like a cookie exactly, but you get the point… it’s just sugary goodness.
- Cocoa Rice Krispies – The cereal’s crackle and pop are very satisfying if you are into ASMR, which is a bonus! If you are not into that, then the delicious chocolate taste itself will be good enough. The cereal will also turn your leftover milk into chocolate milk!
- Krave – I can’t buy a box of this because I will finish it in one sitting, but essentially it is cereal puffs with a bit of Nutella inside it. You can’t get any better than that.
Honorable mentions: Life Cinnamon, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, S’mores, Captain Crunch, Raisin Bran (mostly just the bran).
And if you are eating Frosted Mini-Wheats or any type of fruity cereal, I will judge.